TRS will continually deliver the retirement security promised to our members by maintaining the highest and most efficient level of service and by living our values:
- Put the best interests of others first
- Continuous improvement
Who We Are
Created by the Illinois General Assembly in 1939, TRS has grown to be one of the largest teachers’ retirement systems in the United States. TRS provides retirement benefits for teachers who are employed by all Illinois public common and charter school districts located outside the city of Chicago. The Illinois Pension Code contains the laws relating to our creation, benefits and administration.
Working at TRS
Our staff of 200 employees are professionals in the following divisions: benefit service, finance, investments, executive and information technology. We consist of a highly-skilled and diverse workforce that offers the opportunity to build an impactful career through:
- growth opportunities,
- training and development, and
- education assistance.
We attract and retain employees with:
- Retirement benefits
- Tier I (member before Jan. 1, 2011) - Learn more about Tier I retirement benefits in the Tier I Member Guide.
- Tier II (member on or after Jan. 1, 2011) - Learn more about Tier II benefits in the Tier II Member Guide.
- Health benefits - Learn more about Health Benefits.
- Vacation, sick and holiday leave