Employers provide a vital link between members and TRS. They forward member and employer contributions, report member earnings, member service credit information, and disseminate information about TRS to more than 159,000 active members. Information provided by employers determines the members' current service credit, creditable earnings, and retirement contributions.
Annual Reporting Changing to Pay-Period Reporting on July 1, 2020
Public Act 100-0769 was passed August 10, 2018 to implement a voluntary defined contribution (DC) plan for our members. To accommodate this change, TRS is migrating from its current annual reporting process to pay-period based reporting. The anticipated reporting process change is scheduled to take effect on July 1, 2020. Over the next 16 months, TRS will be working diligently to facilitate the change and make the transition for our employers as smooth as possible.
TRS will be:
- developing a new software which will allow employers to report on a pay-period basis;
- communicating updates on the progress of the project, which is called Gemini;
- providing training on the new reporting method on an on-going basis; and
- testing employer data files in the new file format prior to the anticipated implementation in July 2020.
As the first step to this transition, we have defined a new format in which employer earnings and service information will be reported in the future. For more details, please read Employer Bulletin 19-14.
One last Pay-period Reporting Webinar Scheduled on May 2
We understand the magnitude, complexity and challenges that are ahead due to this upcoming change. To help, we have scheduled webinars to review the file layout and provide you with additional details, such as time lines for testing and additional details on the Gemini project. It is imperative to use the correct webinar link below for the day you will be attending. No registration is required.
The webinar scheduled originally on April 25 has changed to May 2.
Please make a note of it.
Webinar link: Thursday, May 2 from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Helpful tips when you log in:
- Review the file layout prior to the Webex seminar.
- Compile a list of questions prior to the meeting. Send any questions you have to email@example.com prior to the seminars. TRS staff will do its best to address all questions and concerns during the call.
- When joining the Webex meeting, please be sure to enter your first name, last name and email address. If prompted, enter the event password TRS2019.
- When you are in the event, open your chat feature to make comments or add questions during the event.
- Use the "raise your hand" icon if you have a question and would like the host to unmute you during the meeting.
- We are also inviting some of the payroll vendors to these meetings, however, if your district does in-house programming for payroll reporting be sure to include those staff members as well.
Collective Bargaining Agreements Collection Portal Online
In February, Teachers’ Retirement System activated its new CBA/Contract Collection Portal within the Employer Access area of the TRS website. This new portal has been established to help TRS and employers administer Public Act 100-0587, signed into law June 4, 2018, that may affect the amount of employer contributions paid to TRS.
Please read Employer Bulletin 19-12, entitled "CBA Collection Now Online; Employer Submissions Required."
For additional information, please refer to the following resources: Frequently Asked Questions web page, Completing the CBA Collection Process tutorial and Employer Bulletin 19-09. If you have any questions, contact TRS Employer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-678-3675, option 1.
2018 Employer Informational Seminar Videos
All of the 2018 Employer Informational Seminars have been completed. Thank you to all who attended this year. On June 6, the seminar was recorded and the three videos can be viewed on YouTube using the following links.