Main Content

Refunds Overview

If you cease teaching, you may receive a refund of your retirement contributions.

A refund of contributions should be carefully considered because it terminates your benefits and will be costly to repay if you return to teaching service.

If you terminate teaching with a TRS employer, you may apply for a refund of your retirement contributions. This refund consists of the portions used to pay the retirement annuity and the annual increases in the annuity.

If you receive a refund of retirement contributions, you are not entitled to any other refunds. The contributions for the Teachers’ Retirement Insurance Program and the 1 percent survivor benefit contribution are not refundable.

Go to this page to learn more about Refund of Retirement Contributions