Please note that this position is open until filled. Candidates for this role are being reviewed as they apply.
The Teachers' Retirement System of the State of Illinois, with $63.7 billion in assets, is searching for an Investment Officer - Global Income Strategies, to join this statewide, public retirement system. Located in Springfield, IL, TRS is one of the 30 largest public pension plans in the country. The System provides benefits to teachers employed by all Illinois public, common, and charter school districts located outside the city of Chicago. The Illinois Pension Code contains the laws relating to our creation, benefits, and administration.
Working for the Teachers’ Retirement System is a fantastic opportunity for an investment professional looking make a significant, positive difference in the lives of others by building a secure future for the teachers of Illinois. We take great pride knowing that all the work we do is for the benefit of our membership.
TRS is in search of an experienced Investment Officer to manage our Global Income assets. Preferred candidates have experience working with Global Income assets.
Incumbents that would be most successful in this role are skilled at conducting thorough analyses and due diligence while being able to make quantifiable recommendations based on the research conducted. A high degree of skill in oral and written communications is essential for this position. This asset class is targeted at 26% of the total TRS portfolio, representing a current market value of nearly $16 billion. The Investment Officer will provide leadership and oversight to the current portfolio, as well as source and due diligence potential relationships.
- Research the investment performance and portfolio characteristics of existing and prospective investment management relationships and asset class structures
- Evaluate performance and portfolio characteristics to assure compliance with the directives of the Trustees regarding investment objectives and constraints
- Prepare analyses, evaluations, and proposals for investments in new potential investment managers and structures
- Evaluate the qualifications of prospective investment management relationships in accordance with investment policy, asset allocation directives and mix, diversification strategies and guidelines controlling risk/return characteristics for the private equity portfolio
- Prepare statistical and narrative reports regarding the investment portfolios within the private equity asset class, market factors, alternative investment prospects, and investment industry practices
- Proactively research investment approaches, asset mixes, and portfolio management techniques to provide for potential incremental return to TRS’s individual assets and at the total fund level
- Interact at the highest level with outside managers in direct management of the relationship to help facilitate co-investments
- Represent TRS on partnership advisory panels and within the industry
- Manage internal review of documentation and provide logistical leadership for the relevant oversight committee within the global income asset class
- Assist emerging manager program staff, as necessary, in preparing analyses, due diligence, evaluations and proposals for administering emerging manager investment activity
- Assist with developing the skillsets of investment analysts within the investment program
- Perform other duties as assigned or required
- A bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, economics, business administration or related field is required
- A Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation or credible progress toward earning the CFA charter is preferred
- Requires a minimum of two years of investment experience, ideally focused within Global Income
- A background in due diligence and sourcing is preferred
- State health, dental, life, and vision insurance
- 12 vacation, 12 sick, and 3 personal time days of compensated time
- Teachers’ Retirement System pension
- Deferred compensation plan
TRS is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
If you require a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) throughout the recruitment process, please reach out to us at the following email: Careers@trsil.org.