SPRINGFIELD, IL – The Teachers’ Retirement System Board of Trustees made $275 million in investment commitments from mid-May to mid-July 2023.
The System committed $175 million to three private equity opportunities and $100 million to an opportunity in the Diversifying Strategies Portfolio. The following specific investment actions were presented to the trustees during its regularly scheduled August meeting:
- Within the System’s $11 billion Private Equity Portfolio:
- A total commitment of $100 million to TA Associates, of Boston. TA Associates currently manages $350 million in TRS assets.
- The commitment of $50 million to Foundation Capital, of Palo Alto, California. One commitment of $40 million is for Foundation Capital XI, L.P. and $10 million is designated for Foundation Leadership IV, L.P. This is a new relationship for TRS.
- A commitment of $25 million to 3 Boomerang Capital of Greenwich, Conn. This is a new investment relationship for TRS.
- Within the System’s $3.4 billion Diversifying Strategies Portfolio:
- The commitment of up to $100 million to Brevan Howard, of Jersey in the Channel Islands. Brevan Howard currently administers $514 million in TRS assets.
About Teachers' Retirement System
The Teachers’ Retirement System of the State of Illinois is the 42nd largest pension system in the United States, and provides retirement, disability and survivor benefits to teachers, administrators and other licensed public-school personnel employed outside of Chicago. The System serves 439,000 members and had assets of $66.3 billion as of June 30, 2023.