BYLAWS OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Article III: Meetings
SECTION 11: PUBLIC COMMENT AND RECORDINGS
The Open Meetings Act (5 ILCS 120/2.06) requires any person be permitted an opportunity to address public officials, subject to reasonable rules established by the public body. The Board is committed to hearing from and listening to its constituents and other interested parties. Public comment at meetings is particularly welcome subject to the following:
- Public comment shall be a listed agenda item on public meeting agendas for regular meetings of the Board and committees.
- Public comment shall be limited to issues pertaining to the System’s business excluding administrative review or personnel matters.
- Any individual who would like to speak to the Trustees must sign in on the sign-in sheet prior to the commencement of the Committee or Board meeting at which they wish to speak. The individual shall then be recognized by the Chair and be allowed to speak to the Committee or Board.
- Public comment may be limited to five minutes per speaker with a cumulative total of twenty minutes for all speakers at the discretion of the presiding Chair to allow sufficient time to conduct the meeting agenda.
The Open Meetings Act (5 ILCS 120/2.05) allows any person to record proceedings that are required to be public under the Act, subject to reasonable rules established by the public body. The Board’s policy is to allow members of the public to record meetings so long as the recording is not disruptive to the meeting and follows the procedures outlined below.
- Any person who wishes to record the proceedings or photograph any slide or portion of a Board of Committee meeting must sign in at the meeting and indicate on the sign-in sheet that they may record or photograph during the proceedings prior to commencement of the Committee or Board meeting.
- If any individual’s recording or photography is disruptive to the proceedings, the Board or Committee Chair may, at their discretion, require the person to stop recording or photographing the meeting.